12.29.2012

what would Jesus say?

I love Shane Claiborne. The Simple Way reminds me of the first church, the church in the Book of Acts, the church that I feel we are long separated from in this day and age.

I subscribed to his Facebook page a few months ago, after my husband had the privilege of hearing him speak at a youth conference this summer. Just yesterday, Shane posted an article he had written for the Huffington Post entitled What Would Jesus Say to the NRA?

What would he say? Shane captures it so well, I won't attempt to re-write the article from my own perspective; I'll let you read it and draw your own conclusions.

What I want to write here is this: What do the words of Jesus mean to us today?  When we use his words to justify an action or belief, are we sure we are reflecting the true, authentic, servant leader of Jesus?

I feel like the authentic compassion and love of Jesus is often missing when we sling words at one another, deny basic rights (rights afforded to us by our constitution) to one another, insist our way is the only way, or live a life in which we only look to build up ourselves, our wealth, and our possessions.

I am not writing this as one who has it all figured out, as one who is as compassionate and humble as Jesus. Absolutely not. I am writing this as a reminder to myself and hopefully as a call to action for anyone reading this. Are our words as authentic, compassionate, and grace-filled as those of Christ?  When we use our words, are we loving others as Jesus loved us? Are we bearing crosses or swords when we respond to our brothers and sisters?

My words feel inadequate here. My heart knows more than my head can express.

I will bow out of this post with humility and say, I don't have all the answers; I am no biblical scholar; I simply want to live a life of compassion, humility, and love.

And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment