7.02.2010

marathon.mommas

I love Runner's World. Every time it comes in the mail, I devour it. I'm not normally a magazine kind of girl--give me a novel any day over pages of glossy articles. But when Runner's World comes, it's a whole other story.

I read it because no matter where you are on the running spectrum--a newbie, a penguin, a sprinter, a marathoner, or an ironman--there are articles, advice, inspiring stories just for you. Each time I read an article, I get the itch to pound the pavement, especially if I have taken time off recently or it's just been too darn cold or hot to do more than run 2 or 3 miles on the dreaded treadmill.

Runner's World also knocks me off my complacent butt and pushes me to go harder, stronger, faster (for me). No, we aren't all 4:30 minute milers. No, we aren't all sub-4 hour marathoners. And many of us (including me) have no desire to be. I simply have the desire to push past my 10 minute mile and run just a little bit faster. When I first started training for half-marathons, I thought my goal would always be to "just finish." But 4 halves and numerous interval trainings later, I have managed to run a PR of 2:05 and now have the desire to run a sub-2.

But interval trainings and sub-2 half marathons aside, I think the most inspiring articles I read in Runner's World are the stories about the moms. The single moms. the working moms. the married moms. the overweight moms. the non-athletic moms. moms with 2 kids. moms with 8 kids. The moms who run. The moms who run marathons. The moms who get up at 4:00 am to run their long runs, then come home to make breakfast or pack lunches and see their kids off to school.

I have been thinking a lot recently about becoming a mom someday. And while there are many things that both excite and terrify me about being a mother, I think one of things I am most fearful of is, "How will this impact my running?" My body is going to go through so many physical changes in pregnancy. And, once the baby is born, I won't have the luxury of running "when I feel like it." My time will then be split even more--beyond the things I already juggle--work, volunteering, running, time with my husband. There will also be this amazing, beautiful little being needing and wanting my time, to even greater degree. And I will, of course, gladly comply :) And while that seems like the most amazing thing to occupy my time over running, I am still fearful.

But, then I read about these women, and I think, OK, they aren't superstars. They don't have super powers. Well, back up. Any mom is a superstar in my book. Moms are amazing beings who are stronger than I can even imagine. But what I mean by that statement, is that these moms have just as many challenges facing them as I will as a mom (some more than others of course)--so it's not like there is this special antidote to the challenges of life that makes them even more capable of training for a marathon than me.

Or maybe that special antidote is running itself. Hmm.

Running is definitely a disciplined sport. Which is probably what attracts me to it. And as a mom, while flexibility is key, having a disciplined approach to life is also key. Juggling, multi-tasking, anticipating--these are all things that moms must master. Perhaps running actually helps with this. Perhaps that's the great irony. While running does, in theory, take time away from family--just like any other activity--at the same time, perhaps it's the one thing for many of these women that gives them the "me time" they need to be the best parent, the best partner they can be.

So maybe I don't need to fear this. Sure, my body will change. Sure, I'll have to adapt to those changes. But the time that I am so worried about--I am sure I'll learn to re-prioritize and figure out how it all fits in. I also have a very supportive husband who understands what this sport means to me and will certainly help me navigate that time commitment.

I've rambled on for a bit, but suffice it to say, running mommas truly inspire me. To me, they are giving their children such a gift by taking the time to focus on their physical (and mental) health. What strong, confident, inspiring role models they certainly are to their children. And as those children get older, what a great past time to share together. I look forward to running with my children someday--from the time they are in strollers to the time they are running alongside me. I already have visions of this, and that makes my heart sing :)

Happy trails,

blogger :)

No comments:

Post a Comment